Calling All Songbird Heroes! We Want to Celebrate Your Gardens...
This month we are celebrating certified wildlife friendly yards with a great promotion (see the details below). AND if you have a garden certified wildlife friendly by either the Canadian Wildlife Federation or the National Wildlife Federation we would love to add your name to our Songbird Heroes plaque. We want to celebrate all the wonderful ways our amazing customers help the birds and wildlife in their yards. We will be creating a plaque with the names of all the Songbird Hero's in our community who have certified their yards as wildlife friendly. Please show us a photo of your certificate in person or via email, and we will add your name to our plaque dedicated to Songbird Heroes! Also, we would love to share photos of your wildlife certified yards or you and/or your certificate. Send them to [email protected]/ [email protected] and we will give you a proud shout out on our social media pages! Help us continue to spread the word on how to create bird and wildlife friendly spaces.
Tips for Creating Certified Wildlife Habitat
Anyone can create a welcoming haven for local wildlife. In fact, wildlife habitat gardens support twice as much wildlife as conventional lawns and non-native plant gardens. Turning your yard, balcony container garden or work landscape into a Certified Wildlife Habitat to attract birds, butterflies, and other neighborhood wildlife is fun, easy, and can make a lasting difference. Here is what your wildlife habitat should include:
- Food: Native plants provide food eaten by a variety of wildlife. Feeders can supplement natural food sources.
- Water: All animals need water to survive, and some need it for bathing or breeding, as well.
- Cover: Wildlife need places to take shelter from bad weather and places to hide from predators or hunt for prey.
- Places to Raise Young: Wildlife need resources to reproduce, and to protect and nourish their young.
- Sustainable Practices: Maintain your yard or garden in natural ways to ensure soil, air, and water stay healthy and clean.
Certify your space to show your commitment to wildlife. It’s easier than you might think. Wild Birds Unlimited is a Champion Sponsor of the NWF Certified Wildlife Habitat®️ Program. You can also certify your yard with the Canadian Wildlife Federation. Here are the links for yard certifications: